Photo Essay, Nick Moone
High wispy clouds floating underneath a clear blue sky created a pristine backdrop for the Solano Playlot Spring Celebration last Saturday, April 7, 2012. Ebullient children took to the aging swing sets and playground equipment as Richmond residents came together to enjoy the beautiful weather while raising funds for new equipment to be placed in the soon to be renovated lot. Planned by the Solano Play community organization, the get together featured local balloon artist “Twistyman”, raffles, face painting, plant and bake sales, live music and a free-for-all easter egg hunt. Hemmed in on three sides by chain link fences, nearly 100 children of all ages and their families took part in the planned activities and games.
Community organizer Melanie Myers said when she first started with Solano Play four years ago, residents had suggested turning the small triangular island into a dog park.
She now says that people view it as, “… a place where they can come together and connect with each other. Parents are meeting each other here and forming community bonds.”
Construction on the renovation will begin April 15th, with plans for extensive landscaping, new playground equipment and picnic benches. No date has been set for expected completion of the project as of now.
is a community news and media outlet, committed to amplifying the voices of the city's under-served residents. Our reporting is led by young people, with the intent of serving the entire community. Through our work, we seek to create dialogue, and find solutions to, the health issues that plague the Richmond, California community.
Want to tell a story? Get Involved Today!
Read More About…
Download the Richmond Pulse Newspaper (English and Spanish PDF)
Most Recent Editions Below -- Click Here for All Past Editions
- Issue #19: September 2013
- Issue #18: August 2013
- Issue #17: July2013
- Issue #16: June 2013
- Issue #15: May 2013
- Issue #14: April 2013
- Issue #13: March 2013
- Issue #12: February 2013
- Issue #11: January 2013
- Issue #10: December 2012
- Issue #9: November 2012
- Issue #8: October 2012
- Community Groups Filling Void in LGBTQ Services in Richmond, San Pablo 0 comments
- Breaking Silence on Trauma is First Step to Healing 0 comments
- Punishment Fits the Crime for Teen Who Videotaped Murder 0 comments
- About 0 comments
- Contributors 0 comments
Related Richmond, Ca News
- Richmond leaders come under fire from residents of troubled housing complex (Richmond)
- Richmond: Teacher's arrest on sex abuse charges raises concerns about hiring practices (Richmond)
- Gala will celebrate Contra Costa Women's Hall of Fame inductees (Richmond)
- Council moves to hire independent investigator to audit Housing Authority (Richmond Confidential)
- OPINION: Richmond’s investment in youth development is path to ending gun violence (Richmond Confidential)
- Dalai Lama blesses Richmond’s Tibetan Center (Richmond Confidential)